Friday, August 15, 2008

CALM & Screamfree!

I think I mentioned somewhere below that Michael and I are taking a parenting class at church on Wednesday nights. No big suprise since we have signed up for every marriage and parenting class ever offered there. No one is perfect and we are all about making our lives better! Anyhow, the one we are taking right now is called Screamfree Parenting and it is awesome! If you notice on my right side of the blog there is a Blog List, in that list is the blog that our teacher created for our class to use to communicate with each other throughout the week. That was a great idea and I hope everyone is utilizing it.



Anyhow, this past Wednesday night, the authur was talking about how our children need us to STAY CALM in all situations, whether in an augument with the kids, someone doing something that they are or could get hurt doing, etc. So, I have really been praying about this and just focusing on staying calm this week with the kids. I have a few flaws, I tend to overreact in any situation, I tend to raise my voice thinking that way I will be heard, I tend to want the last word, don't like back talk, blah, blah, blah you know where I am going with that!

So as our teacher told us Wednesday night that now that we are taking this class we will be challenged a lot more. I knew that one was coming, just as we start to learn something new, God wants to test us to make sure we are real! Right? Also, every since starting the class I have sensed myself getting madder quicker at the little things, that is just the devil himself!

Well, I am proud to say I was able to post a quiet calming blog this week after an episode with Logan. Yes, sweet little funny, never does anything wrong, most loving little Logan. You know the one I'm talking about! So bottomline I did calm down a bit and it seems so much better so far. You can read for yourself: http://wwwscreamfreeatfirstbaptist.blogspot.com/2008/08/hooray-calm.html.

We actually had another one of these episodes starting today at lunch again, but it quickly went away when I gave him his choices once again. This time he got up from the table and chose not to eat anything until supper. So far he has only asked for something to eat one time since lunch and I reminded him of his choice that he made. He just laid his head on my shoulder and then asked if it was suppertime yet! Gotta love him for trying!

3 comments:

Michele said...

No, I can't imagine Logan throwing a fit! Well, I bet he'll eat lunch tomorrow. It will be neat to see what happens. I'm so thrilled this class is changing your life! It's an answer to prayer.

Michele said...

By the way, did you notice you got a comment from Hal's WIFE on our blog! How cool is that?

Tiffany Pezent said...

Hey Michele, I did notice that Hal's wife left a comment. I was so tickled to hear from the woman herself. How awesome that she takes the time out of her busy schedule to check in on those they have trained. That shows their commitment to this for success! Awesome!
I can't thank you enough for bringing this to our church when you did. I have to admit, I was a little worried with football season this year since Logan is becoming a little more head strong (like Hal said, I am too, you can't be head strong unless someone is butting heads with you!), but now I feel like I have some more effective tools to work with. Granted, will I always use these in every situation...I would hope so, but I am human and know I will fall short on some days, but to always think about this stategy will help. He did it again this morning for breakfast over his banana and he finally ended up eating it all! Wow! Thanks again for all your encouragement!