Ok, on Wednesday last week, I had that wonderful achy feeling inside me that I was just about to bust to hold my kiddos again. I woke up so ready to get to Alabama just to see their sweet eyes and hold their little bodies in mine and just give them all the kisses I had to give. I tried not to call them as much this time since Nana and Papa had all 5 grandkids for the last several days before we got there. Just in case you don't know how much of a handful that is...5 kids (4 BOYS, 1 girl) all under 8 years old, enough said huh? Well, the 2 oldest, Cody and Brooke were a big help with some chores and entertaining the little ones or breaking up any squabbles.
We got on the road about 11:15am and started out. Michael and I did not say much the whole trip as I read and he drove. I guess I was giving him the last 6 hours of peace and quiet before it all started up again. LOL! Well, our 6 hours turned into more like 6 hours and 45 minutes due to construction on 85! YUCK! God, can you make this anymore difficult...I want to see my kids so badly! The kids have had such a fun and busy summer this year, it made it that much harder not to have them for that long and then to know they will be gone for another week in just a week.
I am so thankful and blessed that we have such wonderful grandparent's everywhere that are able to take the time off and are well enough to have them visit for a week at a time during the summers. That is what my kids live for! They love to visit all their grandparents no doubt and that is just making memories that I hope last a lifetime. I just thank all the grandparents too for respecting the way we raise our kids enough to keep them on a pretty good track while away from us, so it is not such an adjustment when they return also. That means more than you will ever know!
Well, we finally got there and I could here Nana ask the kids "guess who's here?" and then little feet stamping around to get out the door to see us. That is an incredible feeling of love to have your kids run into your arms and not want to let go! I pray everyone out there gets to experience that feeling of love and joy sometime in their life and to treasure it forever! I know the day may come when they no longer want to run to us and hold on tight and I dont' want to feel that day come anytime soon!
It was great to see all their cousins also. We took them all out to the sandbar when we got there so they could all show us what they could do in the water. Now understand the water was very shallow pretty far out, so that is why Brooke was not scared at all. She was actually doing flips underwater though...big change from the neighborhood pool or swimming lessons. They were all having the time of their lives out there and guess what...no alligators in sight! Michael and I went up the river to do some bass fishing/laying out in the sun for myself the next morning and we did see a big alligator on the way out. He later saw another one on the last night before we left in the same slue. Of course, he was egging him on though and trying to get him to chase his bait. He just said it was a good thing I wasn't there. I love to see them from a distance, but absolutely hate when he drives the boat close to them.
Nana and Papa had an agreement with the kids all week, if they ate everything they put on their plates, then they would have a banana split party on Friday. Well, well, well, isn't it amazing what the kids will eat for a little ice cream! Come Friday the kids could not stand it any longer. Nana went to the store and we had chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream, sprinkles, chocolate and caramel syrup, whip cream, cherries, nuts and bananas. The kids banana splits ended up being ice cream sundae's instead, I don't think any put a banana in it.
After we let that settle, we went back to the sandbar and I got in this time. I got to take out some frustration...water wars. Me versus 5 kids! They all started splashing me and I had to get all 5 of them by myself, which happened. Even little Caleb came up to me, "splash me Aunt T". We all had a ball and I was pretty worn out by the end. When we came in from the sandbar, Aunt Angela and Uncle Lorin had finally made it and they were almost done making some homemade peach ice cream for everyone. Yummy!!! The kids thought they were in heaven, ice cream twice in one day and that was going to be supper, but Logan said "I don't want this to be my supper, I want something else too!" Needless to say the sun, sand and water created a BIG appetite for all the kids all week. We all had a great time with the whole family this weekend and I am so thankful to have my kids back for a little while again.
Sorry, I have been such a slacker with downloading pictures, now my camera has all of our summer fun on it. Hopefully, I will get them downloaded next week and I will just do one slide show of all their summer fun! Hope everyone enjoyed their 4th!
No comments:
Post a Comment