Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cheerleading...Here we come!

I am now a CHEERLEADING MOM! That was no title that I ever wanted and always hoped that my daughter would pick other sports other than cheerleading. But, we decided to go ahead and let her try it out while she is younger, then maybe she will be burnt out before high school when it cost some major big bucks for this sport! Not that it is pocket change at this age either, which is probably my largest complaint, but thanks to the grandparents who were able to help us out for this one we are trying it!
We kicked it off this week with Cheerleading Camp put on by the local association with the help from the High School Cheerleaders. Let me just say that those high school girls are great with working with these little ones! We do have a great group. Brooke is on the squad that we originally hoped for since I knew the coaches and know she will have fun on their squad.
I am slowly getting into this and know that I will be deep in the middle before it is all over. You have to though for your kids. I want them to see that I am excited about what they chose as a sport and that I will support them even if I don't care for it! This gives us extra bonding time too and things to talk more about. The only thing is Logan will probably be with me 95% of the time since Daddy will be at the high school coaching football! Logan would much rather be out there playing football with Daddy than watching Brooke, but he'll be fine. He asks about every other day "when will I play football?".
Anyhow, this week has been fun for the girls and just to see how quickly they are learning the routines is great (I think)! They are only learning one cheer, their half time dance routine and a chant this week. I have them all on video below, so if you want to smile then take a look. Saturday from 9-10am we have a stunt clinic to attend to make sure they are doing jumps and such correctly...I guess. We leave straight from there to run back to the HS for our family football coaches pictures. Then on Sunday Brooke has to be back at the HS for her cheerleading pictures! Practice begins next Tuesday and they will practice twice a week with their games on Saturdays. Then in about a month they will start practicing 3 times a week to prepare for Cheer Off! Yes, we do cheer off and they say it is a lot of fun. They will combine with the other squad for their age group at Grayson and will compete against all the other squads around Gwinnett Cty, which is a lot of squads. They get to do that in the Arena in October. Actually the weekend of Logan's birthday, so I am sure he will be so excited to spend his birthday watching cheerleading! This is going to be one busy football season for us, but we are ready and waiting! HS football game on Friday night and we normally get home between 10-11pm (if it is a home game we eat afterwards with all the other coaches families), then Brooke will have about the 2nd game on Saturday morning, so no sleeping in for us! I will be sharing plenty of pictures throughout, so hope you enjoy and if not, then quit looking!!!
Ready to practice!
Back row all the way to the end
They were excited to finally get to use their pom pom's last night!
Break time with Popsicles
Getting ready to sing their Peanut Butter...Jelly song.
Waiting for all the squads to make their way into the cafeteria to see who gets a Spirit Stick! Who knew that was such a big deal. We got one the first night for our squad and you can tell when they see the HS coaches coming around, they start really hollering out their cheers! They are smart and cute!
Remember to go to the bottom of my side bar and pause the music so you can here them cheer!





No comments: