Are we the only parent's that make our children eat everything on their plates and make them try new things? What drama that creates and we sometimes have to laugh at it!
Since Logan has been born, we really have not made him eat a lot of new things and have actually slacked off of Brooke too. I think mainly because I don't want the drama and just always make something I know they like, causing my selections for supper small these days. I also just stopped putting that one vegetable on their plate that I know will create the drama and just let it go.
Our kids have many of nights with macaroni and cheese, candied yams, sweet potatoes or corn on the cob and of course green beans with ketchup! Yes, ketchup, that is the only way they will eat them and Brooke actually loves them!
I remember many years ago when Brooke was probably 3 and we had chili. It was time to make her try it and eat a small spoon full in a very small bowl. You would think we had taken away all her toys with the drama she created that night. One thing she had not figured out yet was that her dad was pretty stubborn when it came to her eating when we said she had to. He made her sit at the table for 2 hours (he sat right there with her just watching...waiting...watching) until she ate this small spoon full of chili. I am sure it was real tasty by the time it got cold, but that was her choice that night.
Well, she learned her lesson in one night pretty well and if we tell her she has to eat it all, she does now. She may not like it, but she does choke it down without complaining. Now, back to Logan's turn...chicken, green beans and SQUASH CASSEROLE! We're doing good, eating all our chicken...
"Mommy, I want more chicken."
"When you get done with your vegetables, I will give you more."
Now, he works on his green beans.
"Mommy, I think I'm done."
"No son, you have to eat your squash."
"but, I don't like it"
"You have to eat it, it has all the things you like in it, bread, cheese, bacon, butter...what's not to like?"
Then daddy chimes in and tells him he has to eat it too.
"We made Brooke eat hers, now you have to eat yours." said Daddy
Then with his arm over his eyes and the crying in the background, he stops in his own tracks and says,
"Brooke, you want to eat mine too?" Just as serious as he had been through all this and he never even smiled as the three of us just cracked up laughing at him!
The camera was a thought, but Michael would have killed me taking a picture of our son sitting at the table, eyes covered by his arm and crying, so the thought passed quickly! Hopefully you can picture us sitting around the dinner table tonight!
Not long after that, Daddy finally convinced him that we would sit there till morning so he better get to eating! He got it all down and decided he was full and did not want any more chicken too!
1 comment:
Did he like it after he ate it? Tell him Grandma likes squash casserole. He would probably tell me to eat his too :-) Love you all.
Post a Comment