Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Doctors and my kids...

What is up with my kids these days trying to pass the bucket to another family member?? First Logan trying to get Brooke to eat his squash last night (in the below post) and now...

Brooke had a rough night sleeping last night. She got up with and ear ache. The first time I consoled her and sent her back to bed. She is always getting up at night complaining about something, so I am thinking same old routine. It did not take long for me to realize she was in pain. She kept getting up and going into her bathroom and I could finally hear her crying. I got up and told her to come in our bathroom for me to look at it. Only, what am I looking for, I'm not a doctor and my eyes are half closed due to sleep deprivation. Anyhow, Mommy has to always at least look at it.

I told her I would put some hydrogen peroxide in it and clean it out a little then give some Motrin to hopefully help her sleep until morning. Surprisingly she agreed, she hates when I put the hp in her ear and it bubbles. Her poor eyes were puffy where she had been crying and I felt her pain big time! She said it actually felt a "little" better after I did that, so I did it one more time and sent her to bed with a dose of Motrin.

Thinking now as I try to go back to sleep what I will do in the morning. We just changed our insurance plans this year to accommodate putting Daddy on ours, so the price went up. I had to do something different for this one year until he can go back on his own to keep our price down as much as possible. I was terrible about running the kids to the doctor with small colds, because hey, it just didn't cost much. But now, we have to pay for the full sick visit until we meet our $4000 deductible, so I am a little more standoffish from the word doctor! But at this point, if she is in real pain in the morning, I am paying the $110 visit if I have to or taking her to the Minute Clinic for half the price.

Well, I went in to wake her this morning and to my surprise she was feeling fine. She said her ear felt funny though. I just asked if it sounded like she was in a tunnel and that is what she felt. She said that is why she was talking so loud! LOL! Anyhow, I went ahead and told her that I needed to schedule her 7 year well visit anyhow. I had been holding off until all this flu and strep throat stuff was gone, because every time I take them to the doctor for a well checkup we end up at the doctor for the next month with various cold issues. So, this is when she proceeded to ask,

"Mommy, will I have to get a shot?" (man do my kids HATE shots)

"All you will get is a finger prick to check your iron, but that is quick and doesn't hurt."

"Why don't you get your finger pricked for me then if it doesn't hurt?" as she laughs

"Because I am not going to the doctor, you are."

"Sure you are, you will be there with me, so you can get my finger prick!"

Man do they catch on quick! Well, good news is she won't get her finger pricked until March 11th, the earliest I could schedule to fit my time frame where I don't have the little man. The bad news is, she will get her finger pricked! I am sure I will have comments to post on that day!

Off to another exciting day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is one smart cookie :-) Glad the ear ache is gone though. Love you all Grandma