I must say that Halloween has never been a favorite of mine. I don't remember ever loving it even when a kid. I just hated to go and knock on someone's door and ask for candy. I guess I felt like I was begging...That is just the "I don't want to bother anyone or ask for anything" attitude I have always carried around.
Well, this year the kids finally got to experience the trick or treating part of Halloween for the first time EVER! Due to our church not hosting the annual Hallow Him this year, which we always attended instead. We ended up going to our friends neighborhood and walk with them and the kids had the time of their lives!
Brooke absolutely loves candy (she may get this from me..) and Logan thinks he likes it until he puts a bite in his mouth, then quickly realizes that is not what he was expecting and can't figure out what all the excitement is over candy, then spits it out! "Yeah buddy, it really doesn't taste that great, does it?" (In my most convicing voice possible).
I must explain our white ghost/old lady looking daughter! Their school this year had a dress up day to raise $$ for the United Way, but you had to dress as a favorite book character and could not put face paint or masks on. So we were going to be Junie B. Jones, but that is how she looks everyday and we finally came up with Gus the Friendly Ghost. I was not going to spend $ on a costume, so we were going to have to make it up. I did buy some white face paint before I knew she could not wear that to school and she was going to dress up that night as the ghost too. All in all, she ended up looking like an old lady to me and we got a big kick out of it. She even said some at school thought she was an old lady! Poor baby, her heart was in the right place, she wanted to donate to United Way and take advantage of a dress up day. She may not do that again?
For the month of October, Brooke's class had a book project to do. We had to decorate a small pumpkin as another favorite book character and bring the book to class. They did a parade with all the 1st graders in all the rooms to check them all out. We chose the farmer from The Pumpkin Patch Parable. What an awesome book this is, explaining how God transforms us from our sinful ways and makes us knew just like growing and carving a pumpkin. Sold in most Christian Book stores if anyone is interested. I got it for Brooke 3 years ago when Logan was born and it is a tradition to read during the months in the Fall.
Trick or Treat! Ready to go. We recycled Brooke's Ariel costume from last year that Grandma made and thanks to Preston, Logan got to be a BIG Daddy lion (as he puts it).
At our friends house before we ventured outside.
Good thing we brought the wagon, we really needed it ont he way home and to carry all their candy!
Where's all the houses??
Our caravan awaits us! We had Spencer and Brodey dressed up as Rocky and Rhet was Spiderman.
Brooke, Brodey and Rhet ran from house to house leaving poor Logan and Spencer trailing behind. We had to slow down the older kids to keep up ourselves. I was pretty surprised that Logan would walk up by himself to the doors after the big kids would vanish. As a matter of fact, one of the first few houses, I looked up and saw him go around the lady at the door and go inside her home to pick out his own candy. I had to go up there to get him out of there. It did not phase him one bit, and he doesn't even like 98% of candy, go figure! I guess he wanted that 2% that he did like.
Our little Big Daddy Lion! You could tell our kids had been practicing the "Trick or Treat" and "Happy Halloween", as they went from house to house you would hear the two of them screaming it out to the owners.
Walking up to the scary dead man on the porch giving out candy. There were several homes that just put the bucket out and a sign to grab just one or two pieces. What about for those kids that don't read yet, do they get as much as they want??? I think they did.
Dumping the buckets so they can fill them some more. This is the good stuff!
Heading back to our friends house. The kids hands were all getting cold, except for Logan's since he had his paws to keep him warm.
Brooke finishing up her popcorn ball and Logan roaring like a lion.
OK, this is part of Logan's yucky eye he ended up with on Friday afternoon. Another trip to the doctor because his eye turned blood shot in the outside corner (that part was fine, figured it was from coughing so hard), but then that afternoon I got looking and noticed a white bump came up in the middle of the blood shot and on the white of his eye? What is this, I've never seen it before and could not find anything on it. They told us to bring him in...again, so I did and it is just where he had been rubbing his eye and something else I don't remember. Anyhow, eye drops now for 7 days to see if it will go away! It already is looking a little better so no worries. Also great news, his CBC blood work came back negative so now off to make an appointment for the pediatric surgeon. Will the doctors visits ever subside this year??? We went all year without seeing them until his well checkup and now it has been 4 times in one month and a lot of crying!
1 comment:
Don't you just love trick or treating now! Great pictures.
Post a Comment