Sunday, June 1, 2008

Potty Training 101

OK, for all you Potty Training Moms out there! I have the answer to all your problems, go to www.3daypottytraining.com and buy Lora Jensen's online book and follow it just like she tells you. Guess what, IT REALLY WORKS!!!! Trust me, I was not very sure of this but why not try, my method only took Brooke 9 months and I really did not see 9 months available for Logan (poor thing).
Alright, here is our story and all the GREAT details to go with it! Skip if you are not interested!
Friday morning: Daddy is on board with the program like Mama, so we move forward. Logan eats breakfast, then helps MomMom put all pull ups and diapers in a plastic bag to throw away (don't fear, I am too tight on money to just throw in the garbage and have lots of friends with kids smaller than Logan that will grow into these diapers. I just put them outside so I would not be tempted to grab one)! I have made plans to be at home for 3 full days to walk beside, follow behind, and sit beside my BIG boy!
Michael had to handle all morning for me while I did work and we switched off some in the afternoon, but I mostly handled that part. Logan had a total of 10 accidents and 0 ZERO times on the potty. OK, I know, the old me would say "Forget this, I can't do it anymore". Good News: I am not the old me anymore!!! I cleaned carpet all day, which should be the cleanest carpet in our subdivision by the end of the weekend, RIGHT?
Friday was a very exhausting day and I did not get to give him any rewards, so I ate some of his M&M's! Why not, I worked my butt off for every one I ate! HA!
All smiles, Friday morning ready to be a "BIG BOY", with my Lightening McQueen underwear on!
We found time that afternoon to finally make his crib (yes people, he was still in a crib! Mainly due to nap time, I did not want to have to fight him back into bed for those days that he did not want to nap.) into a toddler bed/youth bed. I would say he kindof liked it! Now, lets keep it dry!
Just trying it out before supper! Another thing, we had already planned on eating quick fast food all weekend for supper due to me not being able to be away from his side that long to cook. We had several books of coupons that expired Saturday, so we took advantage of them for free meals!
OK, I rested up Friday night and checked on him a few times before I went to bed to make sure he was still dry (remember, we have no diapers, so he went to bed for the first time in underwear and he normally soaks his diapers at night). All good during the night and I was getting up around 7am before him to take him to the potty. I rolled over, then rolled back over and went back to sleep. 8am rolls around and I am awakend by "MomMom, MomMom", I jumped up knowing he teeteed in his bed. I ran into his room and he was standing in his bed soaked, but you could tell he just did it. Poor Guy, Bad MomMom! I got him up, cleaned him up and changed the sheets (thank you God, he did not wet his pillow or BC - blanket for those who don't know). We went down stairs and started fresh, here we go - Take 2!
I'm a big boy MomMom!
Start of the morning, all clean underwear from Day 1. We start out with 18 pairs of clean underwear each day, our goal: not to use but 1 pair! The morning started off pretty rough, he wet everytime I turned around. I cleaned carpet, floors, bottoms, you name it, it got cleaned! I asked Michael to take Brooke down to the strawberry patch to get me some strawberries and I would try to make jam (for the first time in my life!), so he did and I thought it would only take 30 minutes or so. Oh no, the crop is getting picked over, we waited a little late this year so it took them about 2 hours. Lots of sweat and tears (from Brooke, "I'm tired, I'm hot, I want to go home") and Michael was ready to hang up the strawberries. He told her they were not leaving until he had 2 gallons of strawberries, so he picked on while she waited. Once they got home we all ate some lunch and he went outside to work in the yard, while I sat, followed and walked beside our Big Boy!
We finally have some success! WOOHOO! 2:00 PM, He finally does it in the potty! I can't tell you how excited I was. He got his cookie finally! We went outside to tell daddy, who also got very excited about this, and on our way back in "I want another cookie". I gave him 5 cookies since we had been waiting so long for this and of course Brooke got 5 cookies too! Then at 3 pm, we finished going in the potty after he started with an accident, WOOHOO! About 3:45pm we had our first BM accident. Not too bad though. Then about 5pm we had another WOOHOO, he caught it before we had an accident! It had finally started clicking. Brooke started having her a little drama going on by this time, because it is not fair that Logan gets treats.
I had to proceed with the talk about it taking her 9 months and she got treats all during that time, we are making Logan do it in 3 days, then his treats are over. Also, when her and Daddy went to get supper the night before he got her a candy bar (which is unheard of) and Logan got nothing. She finally started understanding that she gets a whole lot more than he does in the treat department and she was fine. I had also been letting her get the same amount of cookies each time he got them since she could not have any unless he went potty too! She finally got off of the "It's not fair" game pretty quick. We ended the night with one more BM accident because I was upstairs with Brooke getting her ready for bed and daddy was in the kitchen? I guess?? Off to bed...DRY!!!
GOOD MORNING!!!! WOOHOO!!! YES, we are dry!!! I got up at 7am and went in to wake him. He did not want to go to the potty, but I told him we had to stay dry and he sat up there and went tee tee! Great start to Day 3. I had already planned on keeping him home from church for that final day 3 of potty training. It is 5pm as I type and we have not had one accident today!!! We haven't done a BM yet, but no tee tee accidents and all underwear is DRY!!! Wow what a way to end the 3 days. Now, I just pray that tomorrow morning, when we go to the church for VBS and I am no where around him until 12pm that he will continue to stay dry and tell his teachers when he has to go. Unfortunate for the teachers, he will be in underwear, because he is a BIG BOY now and we are not turning back. I will put some extra clothes, but no diapers or pull ups!!! My world will change for a little while now getting use to planning my shopping around making sure there is a bathroom where I go and so on, but life goes on and guess what? I'm not the only one that goes through this stuff!!!
While Logan was pottying, Brooke was right there playing and praising him! She did great this weekend too! She said she was glad for Monday to be here so everything would be back to normal! I got a kick out of that. I figured she like this better, because I played allllllllll day with them in the livingroom allllllllllll weekend! No chores, no cooking, nothing!
Well, I should not say Nothing! I made Strawberry Jam! I decided to do it Saturday night so the strawberries would not go bad since they weren't the best looking ones to start with, but they were sweet! I finished these 8 jars just after 10 PM Saturday night and then had another big bag of strawberries left, so I told Michael to pick me up another thing of sugar after church and I would make another batch! Logan was doing so good today, I actually got to make the 2nd batch right after lunch today without any accidents! They smell wonderful and I hope they taste that good. I was so worried they would not set right, but they look like jam to me. We are having breakfast for supper tonight so we can try them out on some biscuits! Although, Michael said he wanted to tell Brooke she could not have any since she did not help him pick them! He was kidding and "NO" he did not tell her that! That would just be MEAN! Anyhow, thanks for reading our story and it must go on, so for now, BEST OF LUCK TO ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE POTTY TRAINING! My suggestion is do it in 3 days and follow her steps! It's not easy, but it is nice to know it is done!

No comments: