Saturday, November 17, 2007

Awesome 1st Round of the Playoffs for Grayson!!!

I know it is not as much fun to just read the blogs as it is to see pictures, but I don't have any new pictures to show right now.

We had a great week this week. I got to take a night off and go to another Southern Living @ Home party at Halie's on Tuesday night. It was nice to be able to hang out with the adult girls for a while and talk about something other than football and kids! Don't get me wrong I love both, but it was just nice!

On Wednesday, I started coming down with a cold, so that has been a little unpleasant. Especially when my head felt like a hot air balloon and was ready for take off at any moment. I had a headache for 2 days that wasn't any fun, but we made it.

Then, Thursday we had our first Parent / Teacher conference in Kindergarten. It went really well. Brooke's teacher spoke very highly of her. Her reading blew us away. She is ready on a 3 1/2 reading level, and reading books that no one else in her class is reading yet. She is doing really well and we are so proud of! We do have to brag a little on her! Everything else she was on target for her age and grade. Doing really well learning addition. Also, they have kept up with a journal every week where they draw a picture and write a sentence about it. It was amazing to see some of the drawings and what her sentences would say. Now, I could not read some of them and either Brooke or Ms. Newman would tell us what they said. On one of them she drew a picture of a hill with grass and running on the grass. The sentence was "I love the countryside." I was shocked she came up with countryside and so was her teacher. Now it was not spelled right, but that is how they want them doing is just sounding out what they think it is suppose to be.

OK, last but not least, FOOTBALL FRIDAY!!! WE WON...we beat Chattahoochee in the first round. This was their first shut out in their season this year and we did it! Our guys played fantastic and I will let you read from the AJC below! GO RAMS and lets beat Norcross this time. We have them again in the 2nd round (This is dejavue all over again. We played them in the 2nd round last year and they beat us in double overtime.). If our guys play like they did these past couple of weeks, then we stand a chance of winning. We also found out Friday night that the Falcons (NFL team for those who don't follow (-:) called Mickey, our head coach and wants our team to hold the big American flag during the National Anthem on Thanksgiving night against the Colts. Our guys are so excited about that and I think the coaches are too! Well here is the papers outlook on the game:
By Michael CarvellThe Atlanta Journal-ConstitutionPublished on: 11/17/07
It took Grayson 15 seconds to win its first-round playoff game on Friday.
Austin Stanley returned the opening kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown in a 34-0 victory against Chattahoochee in a Class AAAAA matchup.
"I never expected an outcome like that; I'm real proud of the guys," Grayson coach Mickey Conn said. "I thought Austin taking that opening kickoff back set the tone for the game. It was huge. The momentum went to our side, and our guys never let up."
Chattahoochee (8-3) was shut out for the first time this year. Coach Terry Crowder just shrugged his shoulders when asked what went wrong.
"I think we got a pretty good whooping," he said. "Grayson came out and got after us. There's not much else to be said. Coach Conn and his team did a great job."
Not only did the quick score on the game's first play give Grayson's players a emotional boost, it also provided confidence in Conn's play-calling later in the half. The Rams (9-2) had fourth-and-5 at the Chattahoochee 38-yard line. Rather than punt or attempt a long field goal, Conn had tailback Ean Pemberton line up at quarterback to take a direct snap. Pemberton weaved through the Chattahoochee defense for 11 yards and a first down. Three plays later, fullback Matt Brock ran up the middle for a 2-yard touchdown and 14-0 advantage with 6:19 remaining in the second quarter.
"Chattahoochee's offense looked pretty good in the first quarter, but our defense came up big and stopped them," Conn said. "When we scored that second time, even more momentum shifted over to our side. Our defense settled down and then took over the game at that point."
Five different players scored touchdowns for Grayson, including Denzell Guerra, who had a 46-yard interception return for a 27-0 lead with 10:58 left in the third quarter.
Grayson finished with 211 total yards while holding Chattahoochee to 127. The Cougars never got their high-powered offense in gear, converting on only two of 10 third-down plays.
Meanwhile, Grayson won despite quarterback Tyler Horne not throwing a single pass. Pemberton rushed for a game-high 74 yards.
"I think momentum is big in high school football, such as the opening kickoff," Conn said. "We were able to run the ball and control the clock, and that kept [Chattahoochee] a little off-balance and frustrated."
Conn said it was his team's best performance this season.

No comments: