Monday, January 25, 2010

Our Annual Get-a-way

Michael and I usually try to go to the mountains once a year after football season is over and after the Christmas holiday season. Sometimes it is March, sometimes January just depending on how everyone's schedule works out. We treasure these times together.

Well, this year we had a different opportunity. I have been seeking a minor treatment for something for some time now and finally found a doctor in San Antonio that created a new procedure with great results, so I started really looking into it to see how much it would cost with everything. We were first going to drive, however that was going to take a loooonnnnggg time and I really did not want to take much time off work and neither did Michael.

I started stalking the airline sites and low and behold if Southwest did not put a great offer out there that was half the price that the tickets normally were to San Antonio. I jumped on that offer and my dear friend in Bham offered to get our vehicle so we would not have to pay for parking at the airport either. We did have to drive to Birmingham to fly out instead of Atlanta, but for that deal it was well worth it and not to mention how much I love to fly Southwest!

Michael's parent's came to care for our kids while we took off to new land...for me anyhow. I had never been to, through, over, around Texas, so I was kind of excited to see it. We left early Saturday morning to catch our flight and got there mid afternoon. We checked into our hotel and took off to The Bass Pro Shop...of all places, I know! My friend told me how good the food was in the restaurant, so we took advantage of it and it was yummy! We did not do anything else that night since we were pretty wiped from the traveling. I actually was in bed and asleep by 8:30pm. So sad, I know!

Sunday was our only day for fun really, so we took off downtown to the Alamo and then the RiverWalk. We stayed down there until mid afternoon, then decided to head back for a nap before supper. I just could not keep walking around until supper. We went back that night to eat at the oldest restaurant on the RiverWalk, Casa Rio. It was a yummy tex-mex place and we were stuffed!

Monday, we had to be at the doctor by 9am, then the procedure and we were back at the room by about 1pm. I slept all day after that, but woke and knew Michael was ready to get out of the room, and that we would need to get some supper so we headed back over to where the Bass Pro Shop was and ate at Red Robin (even though we eat there often at home, but we love it), then went across the street to catch a movie. We saw Sherlock Holmes in the coolest theatre ever. It was huge with 2 restaurants, a case of HUGE homemade cookies when you walked in...of course we were too stuffed to buy one. The movie was good for me and better for Michael. More of a guy movie, but it was good. We had to see the doctor again before we left on Tuesday morning, so off to the doctor, then to the airport to return our car and sit and wait! All in all it was a great trip, quick and a little tiring. We did not get back home until 10pm Tuesday night, so we were wiped out all week!

The kids had a great time with Nana & Papa. They went bowling, to play putt putt, played Wii, trains, made potholders (Brooke & Papa did that), got all Brooke's homework done... Needless to say, they had a ball and got a lot done. Thank you Nana & Papa for all you did while you were here. And thank you for hanging my new blinds and cleaning for me!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: San Antonio
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

2 comments:

jodi said...

So was the restaurant called "Islandmorada" (or something like that) at Bass Pro? I LOVE that place!!! Best fish I've ever had. :)

Hope your procedure was a success!

Tiffany Pezent said...

I did not even pay attention to the name, but knew they had different names at the different ones. Wish ours had a restaurant. Our friend actually told us that he had the fish too and said it was the best ever. I got steak though and Michael got some sort of platter with alligator, catfish and shrimp. His parent's eat at that one in Spanish Fort (Mobile area) some and say it is good too.

Thank you, so far so good!